As you can tell by the title, 3 major knitting milestones have been accomplished!
(In a different order than the title….)
1. Blocking. I actually blocked something! Granted I need to get pins (instead of make-shifting safety pins to work), but I think it worked quite well. I used steam on my “Dragon Scale Scarf” because the yarn was a cotton/acrylic blend and from what I’ve read, using steam is the best option for both fibers. So that’s what I did.
2. Wearing. I’ve been wearing the above scarf since Saturday when I finished it. I’m quite proud of it.
As you can see, I modified the pattern a bit so that the ‘scales’ were pointing down at either end. I thought it looked better this way.
3. Swatching. Yes, swatching.. I know some newer knitters don’t do it (myself being one of them). I just figured I’d probably get it right so I never bothered. But today I knit a swatch for a pair of mittens I want to knit. Turns out I got the guage right, but I’m actually kinda taken with the little square, so we’ll see what happens to it in the future. The mittens, by the way, are my first time every doing anything like that.
In other news: The Hufflepuff scarf is starting to come along quite nicely. I have one band of black and I’m 18/30 rows into the yellow so it’ll be good to get at least one of each stripe out of the way.